Blues in the Closet

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Rain, Weather Report, peas and James Gibson

Pokey’s days moved like a jazz song. People weaved in and out of his baseline theme in a seemingly random fashion. As if life moved in a specific pattern, yet each character added their own various ideas of that basic rhythm. The two fellows that ran by the garage entrance every morning as Pokey was arranging his items in their places gave Pokey a start to his day. He would see them briefly sweating in the summer or see the puffs that preceded them in winter. Everyday, they would run. Only the weather was the variation. They seemed as if in a trance. Everyday, the same. The down beat of the day started.

When he worked the Sunday shift, Pokey also witness one of the runners walking into the tavern and staying for hours. Often, if Pokey worked the Sunday shift, the guy would still be in the tavern when Pokey was relieved from his shift. His eyes still held the trance as if he was drawn by something inside the tavern.

Pokey has only been in The Tavern a few times. Each time he goes, he feels a strange, uncomfortable tingling on his skin. He feels dirty and can’t breathe very well. Once Leo made him drink “a beer for Pokey.” Mostly people drag him in so they “can talk.” Pokey can’t concentrate because his skin feels strange. He prefers the diner. The grime isn’t much better but the scent of food is much more comforting than the scent of depression, isolation, mixed with a heady shot of self-absorption.

Pokey was thinking of the tavern as he ate his dinner. Friday: fried fish, onion rings, corn and peas. His coke made him think of the beer. It fizzed that same way—that’s why Pokey was willing to try the beer. Only as he left the tavern, bumping against the chairs and the door, he couldn’t seem to control himself. Like the first time he heard Chick Corea and Weather Report, he felt dizzy. Leo only laughted at Pokey. Mr. Mamet and Harry both swore at Leo and told him to leave Pokey alone. Leo only laughed harder.

Pokey had just finished his peas. His mother always scolded him if he didn’t eat his peas. He reluctantly ate them last. He noticed the rain had started. He buttoned-up his coat and made sure he buckled his galoshes.

He started out the door to see the shadow come around the corner of the block, and stop and start. Pokey knew it was James. Pokey’s mother told him to watch-out for James. She had known his mother. What had happened to James’ mother is the reason she moved from Thallow Flats.

“He’s cursed, Pokey.” She said as she glared over her reading glasses. “Ms. Gibson knew that street like the back of her hand. There’s no reason why she should have fallen.”

Pokey could only listen.

His mom continued. “Everybody said that it’s that Barnaby ghost. That ghost did this, that ghost did that. I never listened to that foolishness until Ms. Gibson died. Now look at that son of hers. Skipping and stuttering around the building, clutching that box. Creepy. Pokey you stay away from him. He’s cursed.”

Pokey’s brows furrow as he watches James jump as if he’s trying to avoid the raindrops.

“He just needs a good raincoat and a pair of galoshes.” Pokey thinks to himself. James sees Pokey and presses himself against the wall.

Pokey pauses in front of James, “Hi James.” Pokey looks down as James seems to fold into the box he is carrying. “ I have an old raincoat in my apartment. I live in 111. If you want it come to my apartment. Apartment 111.” Pokey turns and walks home.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Will Slack said…

    Must... Stay... Awake...

    I MUST! There was too much on this! Again, the buzz of the street lamp infiltrated my mental core, and I found myself drawn by the hidden beats within that noise. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt.................

    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

    .................................

    (Earlier that day)

    I strode down the street, avoiding eye contact and moving against the foot traffic. People careless bumped into me a few times - I ignored it and soldiered on, head bent over. The fellow at the root shop hadn't been helpful in the slightest - it was all "Good day!" to him, and he suspected the man didn't know even know how to talk properly. His act certainly didn't gain him any favor with Saul.

    Lately, the other occupants of the building had been looking at him oddly, and crossing to the other side of the street when they saw him approach. They walked the other direction, and hurried into their apartment if they saw him coming down the hall. Saul was sure that Aretha hadn't just forgotten a canvas, but she quickly announced it to the air when she spied him coming down the hall, want back into her apartment, and he even thought he had heard the deadbolt turn as he walked past the shut door.

    These petty items did not really concern me - but the reasons for them did. I wanted to be viewed with disgust. That was the reason for my manufactured rotten scent, the uniform I wore, and the way I conducted himself. But now, these people seemed to fear me. I do enjoy the new sentiments on a strictly personal level. Fear is a great motivating factor - but if feelings toward me continue down this road, it might be threatening to my mission to -

    (At this point, I found myself to be rather close to a certain car who driver I couldn't see. The breaks screeched and squealed, and it seemed that I had escaped harm from my carelessness.)

    But not quite. My legs suffered contact, and the vehicle was still at a sufficient rate of speed that I found my face in rather close quarters with the front hood. I jumped off as soon as I could, and the car sped off without me getting a chance to see the driver. Pokey came out of his stooping booth and asked me if I was alright, but I was fine. He apologized for the other car and said he'd talk to the driver about safety around the deck, but I persuaded him against that course of action. People were already spooked and it was my fault, after all.

    Ms. Verdioso was standing across the street, rubbernecking at my minor calamity. I crossed and she didn't move away, but rather stood her ground as if bracing herself. Fair enough. "What in all Hell do you think that makes you a party to that little event, Ma'am!" I shouted. Let them stare. But no, she was staring, and not backing down. This wasn't going to work, and I knew it, so I walked away, almost feeling shameful, but not quite. She still shouldn't have been watching like that.

    I knocked the doors of the Flats aside I strode into the hall. Van Vraken was at the mailboxes. He turned, and I SAW him. What eyes could communicate so much? Vraken pulled at his threadbare coat; the stitches were tested but held, and I knew it was time for me to let him be. I did not desire pain in one already hurt.

    And then here came that fool Eros, making a smart stride as if the winds of fortune were at his back. I turned toward him and wanted to anchor that ship. But not now, not after being physically hit by a car and mentally walloped by the pain in those tormented eyes. I was weak.

    He also made eye contact, and I saw the hint of a sneer, but there was no fear there. Only a haughty condescension and an arrogant gleam in his eyes. Oh no. Those were my winds, and that was my stride. What foolishness had he put upon my name?

    Or was it not foolishness at all? I still had the strength for a vigil.

     
  • At 5:58 AM, Blogger Shaun B. said…

    Jason entered the garden after hearing a loud scream come from that direction. He stood there looking at her as she gazed up from the ground of the community garden. Sasha pulled away from him and ran around sniffing and licking her hand. He stood there now with Alana right in front of him; the moment he had been waiting for, but he couldn’t say anything. He was too afraid of failure. Seconds seemed to stretch into eternity as he gazed into her beautiful, mysterious eyes and then that sensuous smile of hers brightened her face. “It is now or never,” Jason thought.

    “Hi, Alana,” Jason finally said

    “Hi,” she replied in her heavily accented English. “You seem to know my name, but what is yours?”

    “My name…my name is Jason. Would you like some help up?”

    “Yes, please.” Alana said.

    The rest of the conversation was a blur to him as they walked through the garden talking and enjoying each others company. Jason hadn’t felt this happy in years. He was finally able to really talk with someone, sharing with them his real feelings.

    Jason and Alana proceeded to leave the garden and head back to Thallow Flats. Once back, Jason took Alana to her room which she said was 315. Jason was a little surprised to hear this and told her he lived in 215, the room right below hers. Just before he left, Jason felt compelled to show his feelings for Alana.

    He leaned down and gently kissed Alana’s forehead, then turned and left before she could say or do anything.

    Now he didn’t know what to do. He decided he would go for another of those mind-clearing rides. As he proceeded to the garage, he waved to Pokey, who as usual was enthralled in the music to which he always listened. When Jason originally bought it, they had reached an agreement where only Jason would drive it. He would just go in and out to get it. Pokey had seemed a little irritated with the arrangement at the time, but seemed okay with it now. As Jason revved up the engine and proceeded to exit, he decided to stop by Pokey’s office. He knocked on the door and was greeted by Pokey’s smiling face and the ever present headphones. Jason smiled and asked Pokey for a cup of hot chocolate. After Pokey returned with the hot drink, he made some comment about it being too cold to ride a motorcycle, but Jason was thinking about everything that had happened. Jason tipped Pokey a five, drained the cup, and sped off down Main Street, his mind blazing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home